Thursday, April 20, 2006

All I want to do is bugaloo

My neighbors must be very impressed. For the past hour and a half I have been working myself into a furor over James Brown. Dancing, by myself, until my feet ached and my brows carried big, salty dollops that blurred my vision.

Drivers on interstate 71 must be equally bewildered; watching cautiously as a well-groomed white boy emerges suddenly from their blind spot, pounding his hood until his knuckles purple and spitting rapturously to some inaudible rhymes.

Admittedly, this situation I have put myself in is more than a little absurd. (But don't most addictions begin in private? Who knows, I can't be bothered to follow up on that assertion.) Still, this obsession is nothing to be embarrassed about. Although my discriminating readers may have greeted my repeated offerings of black American music with mute disapproval, perhaps they mistook the brevity with which I introduced soul brother number one, James Brown, as a lack of enthusiasm. How little they realize that sometimes the matters of the heart can't be expressed by words, and only by grunts and squeals. You think I'm finished? I'm only previewing it. This ain't the show I'm only EQ'ing it.

Just to be clear, you're not getting any James Brown tonight. But I have introduced myself to soul singer Don Covay and I thought I would introduce him to you as well. Covay started his career opening for Little Richard, went on to record this little number with an unknown guitarist named Jimi Hendrix, and was later imitated successfully by a Brit named Mick Jagger.

Don Covay - Mercy, Mercy (from Mercy/See-Saw)

I can't explain my recent obsession with '50s R&B, '60s soul, and '70s funk. Maybe the southern heat of this spring is just loosening my joints. Maybe the recent string of drug-related murders and assassination of an outspoken local activist, with the resultant police crackdown in my neighborhood, is causing me to seek an appropriate outlet. Listening to the music is a good start. Shuffling and singing along with the music can be an even better release. Lately I've been getting the itch to get back into performing again. Since I've moved down here my poor bass has been neglected. Nothing's sadder than a solo bassist plucking quietly out of tune. Now I'd give anything for a patient drummer to pound out some simple rhythms - "Give the bass a taste, give the drummer some." Two weeks ago I nabbed a free six-string, minus a few strings. It's still out of tune. I feel like I've been attacking it with clay hands.

I really ought to abandon any notion of playing R&B, soul, or funk, because nothing's worse than white R&B, white soul, and white funk. At work I've been toying around with Pandora and surprised myself with some of the gems you'll now find in the margins of my blog. You can offer suggestions for the type of music you want to listen to, rate it, pause and fast-forward it. The only tune I gave the big thumb's down to was some white gent singing soul. It's unnatural, innit?

3 comments:

Fox In The Woods said...

this blog is my new favorite dicovery.

Anonymous said...

It is possible for white people to be soulful and funky, just ask Mr. Bowie or Mr. Byrne. Of course it is much dorkier, but that can be just as valuable. I think you got a ton of soul in that skinny body of yours just waiting to come screaming out. Keep on singing in your car and plucking that geetar and I'll be the first in line at your debut show: a one-man band, blue-eyed soul, funk extravaganza!

Anonymous said...

car insurance for woman
direct line car insurance
aarp car insurance
direct car insurance
car insurance dallas
car insurance quote canada
low cost car insurance online
aarp car insurance
cheap car insurance quote uk
nationwide car insurance
direct car insurance
compare car insurance quote
buy car insurance online
geico car insurance
car insurance san diego
best car insurance rate
collector car insurance
car insurance quote
car insurance group
fresno car insurance
auto insurance quote
direct line car insurance
direct car insurance
churchil
l car insurance

best car insurance quote
car insurance quote uk
teen car insurance
car accident insurance
cheap car insurance rate
infinity car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
car insurance philadelphia